Cauliflower gratin, a healthier adult macaroni and cheese. This recipe has a luscious creamy sauce. Instead of heavy cream, I use marscapone and herb goat cheese (in addition to cheddar cheese).
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa and Bobby Flay
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 2 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar
- 6 ounces herbed goat cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup of mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5 to 6 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until thickened. Off the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, mascapone, goat cheese and cheddar.
Pour 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of an 8 by 11 by 2-inch baking dish. Place the drained cauliflower on top and then spread the rest of the sauce evenly on top. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is browned. Serve hot or at room temperature