Lightly breaded eggplant parmesean doused in tomato sauce and mozzerella cheese is always a welcome entree. It is vegetarian friendly and exceptionally satisfying.
Adapted from AllRecipes and Smitten Kitchen
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs
- 2 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Place sliced eggplant in a colander and sprinkle salt over eggplant and let stand 10 minutes; rinse salt and pat dry. Dip eggplant in egg then in bread crumbs. In a hot pan with a tablespoon of olive oil fry the breaded eggplant, about 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Add 1 cup tomato sauce to 9×13 baking dish, half of the eggplant, mozzarella and parmesean cheese; repeat layering process finishing with the cheeses.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.