We deeply enjoyed Salt Lick’s bbq sausage and Stubb’s spinach and we could not help but try to recreate the amazing Austin sausage and sides ourselves. The lightly sweet and hot bbq jalapeno chicken sausage and earthy baked brown rice went well with another batch of spicy, creamy Stubb’s serrano cheese spinach.
Adapted from Stubb’s BBQ, Austin, Texas
- 40 ounces (4 10 ounce packages of) frozen chopped spinach
- Two 8 oz. whipped cream cheese (but can use a cream cheese brick, cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 4 roasted serrano peppers
- 4 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
De-seed and roast serrano peppers in oven for 5 minutes. Chop serrano peppers, cream and garlic in food processor or hand mixer. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Add spinach; cook and stir over medium-low heat until cream cheese melts and mixture is hot and bubbly.
- Jalapeno chicken sausage
- BBQ sauce
Take jalapeno chicken sausage and slather with favorite BBQ sauce. Broil sausages for 5 minutes, rotate chicken sausage, slather with more BBQ sauce and broil for another 5 minutes.